Advice needed - moving GNOME help files into langpacks

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 27 23:19:35 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Matthew East<mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Martin Pitt<martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Matthew East [2009-08-27 19:36 +0100]:
>>> I suspect that it should be possible to add an alternative search path
>>> to yelp so that it checks in more than one location.
>>
>> It's not just yelp, though, there are also the omf files which seem to
>> be handled by rarian?
>
> Yes, I don't know all the details but I think that rarian might need a
> change as well.

I've had a chat this evening with Shaun Mccance, the Gnome yelp
maintainer. It seems that yelp gets its paths from rarian, and rarian
gets its paths from the content of the omf files. So we can patch the
omf files (seems to me to be a big job), patch rarian, or use the
symlink idea of Loïc.

I've pasted the conversation here and hope that it helps! I'm afraid I
was asking rather uninformed questions, as I don't have a good
understanding either of how yelp works, or of how Ubuntu packaging
works. But hopefully it takes things forward a little.

 http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/260590/

It looks to me like symlinking as Loïc suggested is going to be the
best option, but that's just my impression.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org