Advice needed - moving GNOME help files into langpacks

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 27 20:56:57 BST 2009

Matthew East [2009-08-27 19:36 +0100]:
> I suspect that it should be possible to add an alternative search path
> to yelp so that it checks in more than one location.

It's not just yelp, though, there are also the omf files which seem to
be handled by rarian?

> Likewise, it seems to me that such hardcoded file references might be
> fixable bugs. For reference "beanstalk.xml" is an example which some
> of the upstream developers use when planning features in the Gnome
> help (see http://www.gnome.org/~shaunm/quack/mallard.xml). I don't
> think it's a real file at all. If that's the only hardcoded path, I
> suspect that it's a red herring.

Ah, I see. I didn't find anything else (I grepped
/usr/share/gnome/help). Thanks for clarifying.

> Incidentally, is the stripping also going to be done for other
> packages using the directory /usr/share/gnome/help (such as
> ubuntu-docs)?

Usually yes. Particular packages can opt out in the usual way by
setting NO_PKG_MANGLE=1 in debian/rules.

> If so, am I right that we can go back to shipping all
> languages in the ubuntu-docs package, rather than only those which are
> >70% translated?

That's indeed true, if you would like ubuntu-docs to be
stripped/distributed that way, too.

Thanks,

Martin