Empathy and Ekiga in Karmic Koala.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 00:37:39 BST 2009

2009/8/12 Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com>:
> I don't know how much testing it got but empathy is an im client and
> audio video is a new feature we didn't have before.
> The reason to stop installing ekiga by default is the lack of CD space
> combined with the perception that ekiga is not a standard desktop user
> application but something the few people rely on can get from internet

Well, we did have audio video in Ekiga before. I think we should draw
a line between Ekiga and Empathy for now. They're different things,
though they some things in common. When i think of Ekiga, I think of
a softphone which I can use to connect to the public switched telephony
network using sip or h.323. When I think of Empathy, I'm thinking of it
more as a competitor to MSN.

Granted, everyone who needs Ekiga will have access to the internet and
so can easily download and install it. On the other hand, if space is the
issue, wouldn't it make more sense to remove the games in favor or a
_useful_ application?

As I said earlier, I'm confident Telepathy will take over for Ekiga in time,
but for now, we do need both Empathy and Ekiga in the default install.
The assumption that a standard desktop user doesn't need a phone, is
imho, a very weird one.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad