Trimming down gnome-applets (and removing HAL dependency)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 2 08:59:21 BST 2009

Hello Chris,

Chris Coulson [2009-08-02  0:26 +0100]:
> *** battstatus ***
>
> This currently is able to use either a HAL backend or the
> legacy /proc/acpi interface for obtaining battery information. This has
> previously been (and might still be) a source of bugs when the legacy
> interface presents inconsistent information compared to what
> gnome-power-manager says

I fully agree. In Karmic we only really support devkit-power and
gnome-power-manager, and trying to keep up with hal and even
/proc/acpi does not make much sense.

> *** modemlights ***
>
> This has a dependency on network-admin from gnome-system-tools which we
> don't even install by default anymore, so is crippled on the default
> install anyway. To be functional, users will need to manually download
> gnome-network-admin, so I'm not sure if we'd lose anything by removing
> this applet.

I'm not personally attached to this. To me it sounds that
functionality which people need should rather be added to nm-applet.
Is there a chance to split it out as a separate binary, so that it can
get a dependency to g-network-admin and be dropped from the default
install? If that's too much hassle, I don't mind dropping it. Karmic
changed so much, I guess we need to leave some cruft along the way..

Thanks,

Martin