Please Comment: Proposal to change the name of Applications -> Add/Remove...

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Apr 7 09:41:25 BST 2009

Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2009, at 7:00 PM, Rick Spencer wrote:
>>
>> On 01/15/2009 10:46 AM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
>>>
>>> Except those who are coming from Windows, which is a larger userbase
>>> than those coming from the iPhone or Android markets, are used to the
>>> Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.
>>
>> Actually, this has gotten kind of muddled in Windows. It is now
>> something called "Programs and Features", which is yet another control
>> panel that launches wizards for individual applications that you may
>> have installed (or can install depending if you are in a corporate
>> environment that supports it).
>
> And even when it was called "Add/Remove Programs", it was overwhelmingly
> used for uninstalling programs, not for installing them. It offered no
> selection of programs you could install.

And this a good argument in favor of changing the name to Software
Library - Windows users expect an Add/Remove Programs, and they expect
it to be only capable of uninstalling.  We were talking at UDS-Jaunty
about how to better inform users that there are thousands of free
applications they can add, so making us stand out from Windows here
definitely helps.

I support it.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie