Empty "Create Document" menu

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko at redinnovation.com
Wed Oct 29 14:39:41 GMT 2008

Hi,

After 3 years of discussion it looks like Ubuntu is still going to ship with
empty "Create Document" menu in Nautilus. This menu should be populated
which choices "Create text file", "Create OpenOffice Writer document" and so
on.

Bug #23332 was marked as invalid.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/23332

and here is discussion about the matter
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2008-June/msg00123.html

This is one of these things were discussion led to nowhere. The last word
was "no we are not going to do anything for this because there could be
possible abuse by software packagers and such". This is a bit unflattering
for the end users. I'd rather have this very handy usability feature on the
risk of hypothetical abuse. I can clean up my menu if my evil Linux software
vendors try to clutter it up.

This is a very visible bug (feature) to all users coming from other
operating systems/distributions. Could we at least remove "Create Document"
menu if it's going to be unsupported?

--
Mikko Ohtamaa
www.redinnovation.com