Unmounting removable devices

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Nov 11 19:09:25 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 09:23 -0500, James Westby wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 11:03 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > > which has no comment in the linked upstream bug. From a brief look
> > > gio has signals that could easily implement it, but I'm not sure
> > > that nautilus is the correct place to implement it.
> >
> > It is IMHO, since nautilus now does the automounting and handling of
> > media.
>
> One issue I see is that nautilus doesn't currently link against
> libnotify. Do you know what produces the messages on successful
> unmount that Matthew mentioned?

The messages apparently come from gnome-mount, but are only shown in
some cases from what I can see.

It is not appropriate to extend that, as it can only act when invoked
to unmount something, so it can't act when something is removed without
being unmounted.

I have a 20 line python script that implements what I would like by
hooking up gio and libnotify. I'm looking for somewhere appropriate
to put it. nautilus may be appropriate, but I'm having a bit of trouble
seeing how to use their particular brand of gtk+. I wondered if it could
be done as a nautilus extension, but that doesn't look feasible from the
little documentation that I could find.

Another place would be gnome-settings-daemon, but it's not a good fix
their in terms of intent.

Thanks,

James