Unmounting removable devices

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 11 10:03:22 GMT 2008

Hi James,

James Westby [2008-11-10 17:22 -0500]:
> Secondly, there is no notification when you just yank out a
> removable device, and no real indication that you should unmount
> before doing so, so it's not obvious to new users.

We already did have that in edgy to gutsy, while we were using
gnome-volume-manager. It wasn't particularly robust, but it worked:

  http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/tmp/95_ubuntu_auto_unmount_notifications.patch

> There is an open bug report about the second,
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/208730

Right, something like above patch would be necessary in nautilus.

> which has no comment in the linked upstream bug. From a brief look
> gio has signals that could easily implement it, but I'm not sure
> that nautilus is the correct place to implement it.

It is IMHO, since nautilus now does the automounting and handling of
media.

> The second is the more philosophical one, should we be doing this?
> If so, what should it look like? Panel applet? Notification icon?
> Something else?

Applet is too sticky IMHO. It should just be a 30 second notification
bubble, like in previous releases.

My *real* preference would be to fix the kernel to make the vfat
'flush' mode actually work. This is in between 'sync' (which is flash
damaging and unbearably slow) and the currently used 'async' (which
has a too lax write-back policy). In short, 'flush' does write
caching, but flushes more often, and blocks close() until everything
is written. That means that things like copy file dialogs or programs
which save documents stay around until everything is written properly,
and it doesn't actually hurt (much) any more to just rip out the
device. ('flush' currently only exists for vfat, though, and it's not
working for me either)

Martin