Unmounting removable devices

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Mon Nov 10 22:22:40 GMT 2008

Currently I find unmounting removable devices in GNOME is less than
optimal for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I don't think I should have to open nautilus or go to the
desktop to do this, though it's not the end of the world. Secondly,
there is no notification when you just yank out a removable device, and
no real indication that you should unmount before doing so, so it's not
obvious to new users.

I use the drive mount applet to overcome the first issue, but it
doesn't solve the second.

There is an open bug report about the second,

which has no comment in the linked upstream bug. From a brief look
gio has signals that could easily implement it, but I'm not sure
that nautilus is the correct place to implement it.

I have two questions. Firstly, the technical one of what needs to
happen. Is nautilus the correct place for this? If not, what should be?

The second is the more philosophical one, should we be doing this?
If so, what should it look like? Panel applet? Notification icon?
Something else?