Desktop team weekly report/meeting

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 31 15:03:57 BST 2008

This is also available at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2008-07-31

== Present ==

 * Martin Pitt (pitti) -- chair
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)
 * Michael Vogt (mvo)
 * Mirco Müller (MacSlow)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
 * Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)
 * Pedro Villavicencio Garrido (pedro_)

== Apologies ==

 * Scott James Remnant (Keybuk) - sick leave
 * Ted Gould (tedg) - holiday

== Agenda ==

 * Outstanding actions from last meeting

 * Sponsoring queue overview:
 Desktop team is doing well, all but one patch is uploaded; Scott
 still has a few open bugs, though, but he isn't available today for
 further details

 * Review activity reports

 * Mirko's work is a bit stuck on his gdm work on face browser, since
 the new gdm is far from ready for Intrepid so far; he will continue
 to work with upstream and have a talk with Mark for our requirements
 in Intrepid.

 * Martin asked about how everyone is doing with their spec
 implementations; no problems or drags were reported, aside from
 Mirko's above.

== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==

 * Matthew to follow up with upstream about UI improvements in new
 user admin tool: no response so far, he will mail again

== Actions from this meeting ==

 * Mirko to clarify gdm goals for face browser for Intrepid/Intrepid+1.

== Activity reports ==

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===

done:
 * KDE 4.1 packaged and uploaded
 * update-manager ported to Qt 4
 * gdebi ported to Qt 4
 * Fix avahi to compile in main
 * Kubuntu meeting (one new member)

todo:
 * system-config-printer-kde
 * finish KDE 4 Rosetta support not cdbs compiles

no milestoned bugs

=== Kenneth Wimer (kwwii) ===

No report received.

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===

Assigned Intrepid specs:
 * intrepid-device-permissions: No change since last week.
 * jockey-printer-driver-support: No change since last week.
 * gdm-guest-account:
  * After working on the guest setup scripts for about a week, I
  discovered many bugs in graphics drivers and kernel oopses, so
  that I doubt that I'll ever get this stable enough with the "do
  everything from scratch" approach. Sad to say that this was wasted
  work :-(
  * So I went ahead and hacked guest support into our current gdm,
  with externalizing as much as possible into the new
  gdm-guest-session package. Both are in intrepid now, feedback
  appreciated. AppArmor profile landed today. UI integration still
  missing.

Currently open milestoned bugs:
 * Intrepid: #224697 (Disable hibernation if swap is on file), #232428
 (guile 1.6 -> 1.8 transition), #246550 (upgrade conffile prompt):
 will do later, specs go first

Other non-chores work done:
 * got the apport retracers back into working order, including intrepid

=== Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) ===

No report received, busy with Launchpad.

=== Michael Vogt (mvo) ===

==== update-manager/release-upgrades ====
 * reproduce/fix install-doc failure (#243830 and some duplicates)
 * merge "better-nvidia-support" branch into update-manager that
 should now be able to automatically select the right nvidia driver on
 upgrade (and fix some issues like missing depends)
 * improvements in the progress reporting for the non-interactive mode
 (needed for the sandbox-upgrade-tester) - not perfect yet, but a
 improvement
 * merge the kde4 branch and do testing/fixing on it (some smallish
 issues with the terminal widget and other small bits), improve the
 test-code for the terminal widget along the way
 * fix crashes

==== sandbox-upgrader ====
 * add automatic test script that works on top of the cloned system
 * create sandbox-upgrader package and put it into my PPA
 * testing (work ok on my system now)
 * feedback very welcome (needs a kvm capable machine and
 diskspace/bandwidth for the test), available in my PPA as
 sandbox-upgrader and then "sudo sandbox-test-upgrade"

==== systemwide-preferences ====
 * sent mail to gnomecc list (stuck in the moderation queue?)
 * add reader/writer for /etc/environment to the dbus backend

==== compiz ====
 * analyze compiz hang for certain screensaver hacks (LP: #101943,
 compiz bug 961) that is caused by compiz not catching up fast
 enough with the xdamage events and and sent patch upstream
 (based on patch by Michel D�nzer)
 * updated plugins-main to latest git
 * looked into updating compiz core too, but little changes and the
 current kde3/kde4 code is difficult to split appart, needs more
 work (i.e. even with just kde4 enabled in configure it wants to
 build kde3 bits)

==== mobile ====
 * make virtual-mobile-builder behave a bit more like
 moblin-image-creator and produce mccaslin-lpia-ume kvm images for
 the mobile team (this was complicated by the fact that with
 hardy-updates and hardy-security in sources.list midbrowser would not
 start because of some incompatibilty in the GRE version)

==== apt ====
 * review/merge apt https branch by Arnaud Ebalard
 * translated package descriptions update for intrepid
 * fix incorrect reporting ofr "breaks" in at-cache unmet

==== SRU ====
 * debug/fix problem with security.ubuntu.com display in
 software-properties (#244093)
 * make anacron wakeup on resume in pm-utils too (#249220) and upload
 hardy version into my PPA, will do a SRU for it
 * fix update-notifier shows incorrect number of updates problem (LP  #251494)
 * merge compiz animation fix for hardy (#LP 198370, opencompositing: #949)
 * debug/fix crash in python-apt when a package has no priority set,
 upload fixes to gutsy and hardy (#253255)
 * add workaround for the crash in python-apt to the release-upgrader
 and upload fixes to intrepid and hardy-proposed

==== misc ====
 * bug triage/mail
 * some sponsoring (sponsoring list)
 * review/merge potmodify.py script into apt-ddtp-tools to improve the
 translated package descriptions pot
 * fixed HW issues in my desktop (replaced main power supply unit,
 fortunately that was all needed)
 * fix gnome-session regression when update-notifier sents it the
 save-clients message before rebooting and sent patch upstream
 (#545123)
 * upload new libgksu to fix hang problem (#55172) - SRU too?
 * new friendly-recover with some fixes

=== Mirco Müller (MacSlow) ===

login-experience/gdm-face-browser:
 * using relative sizes in .json file for works now, will be able to make
 theme and layout adapt to screens aspect-ratio

 * reading lots and lots of code of upstream simple-greeter, to get a
 better understanding which parts are needed for the graphical-greeter

 * getting used to bzr's svn-plugin for importing upstream gdm-repository
 from GNOME's svn, but considering bzr-mirror.gnome.org because it's
 faster

 * did small screencast of some early code...

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBa6me9Avi8,
 http://people.ubuntu.com/~mmueller/graphical-greeter-1.ogg

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===

 * lot of bugs triage
 * looked a the sponsoring queue and subscribed people
 * backported some fixes to hardy
 * intrepid GNOME updates
 * got a new mentoree, gave him some tasks and replied to his questions, sponsored his first desktop updates
 * archive admin tasks

=== Ted Gould (tedg) ===

On holiday, no report received.