Bring back the "System Tools" menu?

Adam Petaccia adam at tpetaccia.com
Tue Jan 29 01:15:14 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 12:45 -0800, Corey Burger wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007 8:54 AM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Le jeudi 27 septembre 2007 à 23:14 -0300, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini a
> > écrit :
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > "System Tools" is a standard category of the XDG spec that is not used
> > > in a default Ubuntu desktop. Applications that usually go in that
> > > category have been moved to other places, such as "Accessories" or
> > > "Administration", or simply hidden by default.
> > >
> > > Looking at Gutsy, I think the Accessories menu is too crowded with
> > > applications that don't belong there (Bluetooth Analyzer, Disk Usage
> > > Analyzer, Terminal). Another problem with Ubuntu ignoring the XDG spec
> > > is that third party applications might install an entry in that
> > > category, so the user will end up with the extra category anyway.
> > >
> > > I'd like to suggest that Ubuntu reconsiders this change and reverts back
> > > to upstream behaviour.
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > That's something which has been discussed already and there is no easy
> > way to make the menus easier to browse. Using the System Tools is one
> > option, what people subscribed to the list thing about this change?
>
> Bluetooth analyzer can be hidden, as I believe it merely allows users
> to look at the bluetooth messages floating around. With that gone, the
> next big target is the Tracker search thing. I think we should replace
> the Search for Files at the bottom of the places menu with the Tracker
> Tool (yes, I realize this would create an Ubuntu specific patch. We
> can push it upstream or at least start a discussion about it upstream.
> Ideally we want a single search UI driving into either Beagle or
> Tracker, depending on the distro/user). I also vote we hide "Manage
> Print Jobs" or move it to the Administration menu.

This does nothing to solve the problem that many third party
applications place things in System Tools; a (power) user may want to
unhide something (Like GConf editor for me) that ships as hidden.  When
this happens you wind up with a rather scrawny unappealing System Tools
menu with one or two items in it, which is much worse.

While I agree that Ubuntu should look nice "out of the box", it should
continue to stay that way throughout its use, not degenerate as some
other OSs might.

Another solution may be to patch Gnome panel so that everything that
would appear under Applications --> System Tools would instead show up
under System --> Administration, but that may not be an appealing
solution to some as it would still involve diverging from upstream, but
it would be an easier solution in the long run that hacking every other
package that violates the convention, and still falling down when a 3rd
party app comes along.