Desktop Team Meeting, 2008-02-21

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Thu Feb 28 14:59:58 GMT 2008

For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.

== Present ==

 * Scott James Remnant (Keybuk) - chair
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)
 * Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)
 * Michael Vogt (mvo)
 * Mirco Müller (MacSlow)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
 * Ted Gould (tedg)

 * Pedro Villavicencio Garrido (pedro_)

== Agenda ==

 * Review activity reports
 * Any other business

== Other Business ==

seb128 raised a concern that Hardy feels slow to boot, login and run -
we should investigate this and compare bootcharts and experiences on
ubuntu-devel.

== Activity reports ==

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===

done:
 * Package Qt 3.4.3
 * FOSDEM trip, held successful packaging jam
 * Spent most of the week working on the Kubuntu-KDE4 CD and did an
   alpha release on Wednesday
 * a couple hours of archive admin

todo:
 * bug fixing!

No milestoned bugs

=== Kenneth Wimer (kwwii) ===

 * touched up two gtkrc files and put them in the human theme package
  (thanks mvo!). We are now using a theme based on the murrine engine -
   please test it out and let me know what you think.

 * package training and bizdev meeting in London. Due to another meeting
   my meeting with bizdev didn't happen :-(

 * tweaked next wallpaper alternative, including that today

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===

Hardy spec assignments:
 * no progress this week; my specs are by and large done

Unfixed milestoned bugs:
 * 174128 (dhcp3 debconf question during upgrade, beta): tried to
   reproduce, but works for me; set to needsinfo and asked Michael

Other:
 * lots of bug fixing and bug triage across the board
 * spent some hours on apport-retracer shepherding and firefighting;
   p-lp-bugs and ever-changing LP HTML is a constant source of work
 * Documented hal debugging procedures in the wiki for a hug day
 * Gave developer week session about patching packages
 * New langpacks for stables

=== Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) ===

 * Gave feedback to Bryce Harrington on multi-display screen resolution
   tool.

 * Compiled <https://wiki.canonical.com/Ubuntu/UserExperience> based on
   the brainstorming session at the Ubuntu team sprint.

=== Michael Vogt (mvo) ===
Did:

==== upgrades ====
 * upgrade testing
 * reading the forum feedback for upgrade/trying to reproduce issues
 * debug/fix pre-requists fetching failure when
   APT::Get::AllowUnauthenticated is set
 * SRU for update-manager

==== apt ====
 * fix task install code for colin
 * merge latest debian upload into ubuntu bzr
 * fix bug in ddtp translations files generation
 * debug problem in lzma debExtract() for cprov
 * backport hardy python-apt to gutsy (for launchpad)
 * add random sleep time before apts cron job starts to download (in
   bzr)

==== misc ====
 * Fosdem
 * Bug triage
 * ddtp translations update
 * fix i18n issues in gnome-app-install
 * debug python-central issue and test new version
 * packageKit apt help for glatzor
 * sponsor font uploads
 * work on language-selector UI for fine control what support levels to
   select (with Arne)

==== traveling ====
 * FOSDEM (weekend)
 * packaging training in london (mon-thurs)

Next week:
 * catchup on bugs from london

=== Mirco Müller (MacSlow) ===

==== spec-related work (hardy-desktop-effects-profiles) ====
 * figure out how to only save plugins settings-values, but not its
   keybindings

==== spec-related work (gdm-face-browser) ====
 * figure out how to do real implicit animations with clutter-0.6 for
   face-browser

==== misc ====
 * trip to FOSDEM, Bruxelles

 * trip to London (millbank-office) for package-training

 * created gutsy- and hardy-ppa for latest cairo-clock-0.3.4
(https://edge.launchpad.net/~macslow/+archive)

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===

 * desktop bugs fixing

 * lot of bug triage

 * GNOME 2.21.92 updates

=== Ted Gould (tedg) ===

 * Traveled to Server/Kernel team sprint in Boston for packaging
training
 * Further about-this-computer cleanups
 * Some additional cleanup of GPM bugs and debugging pages

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com