Please remove Software Sources from the menus, it's destructive.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 13:41:38 GMT 2008

On 26/02/2008, Andreas Schildbach <andreas at schildbach.de> wrote:
> Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:

> There is also the graphical "Add/Remove Applications", which I think is
>  much easier to use if you want to install an application.
>
>  Also, "Software Sources" has more use-cases, like enabling or disabling
>  automatic security updates, selecting how often it should look for
>  updates, adding authenticaton keys and allowing statistical information
>  to be sent. This is all unlikely to need a package manager in the same
>  usecase.
>
>  Personally, I'd prefer if the Software Sources would stay in the menu.
>  However, I would not mind for Synaptic to go away...
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Andreas

I think you may have misunderstood. The Software Sources dialog is
part of Synaptic. The Software Sources menu item is just an extra way
of opening it. It saves you three mouse-clicks, granted, but it also
leads to misunderstandings like this. Synaptic and Add/Remove serves
two different purposes. You cannot use Add/Remove to install a single
package, like you do in Synaptic. You also cannot install a number of
services easily, like Mailserver, LAMP and SSH in one go, like you can
in Synaptic. Synaptic is not comparable to Add/Remove at all,
actually. It's competitors are the commandline tools aptitude,
apt-get, tasksel and editing /etc/sources.list(.d) manually.

You're a good example of why Software Sources should be removed. You
had to learn how to use that too, but if you'd used the three extra
mouse clicks, you would have had a better change of discovering what a
wonderful application Synaptic is. We have to have a graphical tool
for package management, and Synaptic does a great job.

With best regards,

Jo-Erlend Schinstad