Getting a usability patch into gnome-panel package?

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Sun Feb 10 09:09:07 GMT 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 9:06 AM, William Lachance wrote:
> A while back I fixed up a patch originally written by Novell to GNOME
> panel, which makes it impossible to move without unlocking it first
> (the default setting is locked). This prevents the user from
> inadvertently moving the panel when (e.g.) they're just trying to open
> an application.
> This really is a serious usability problem: it's tripped up my
> girlfriend at least once, and you can see lots of complaints in the
> bugs about this happening to other people as well. I'd really love to
> see it fixed.

Unfortunately this is not a good solution to the problem, because it
introduces an unnecessary mode -- unlocked versus locked. Modes should
be avoided whenever possible, because remembering which mode you're in
takes extra mental effort.

A better solution would be to introduce a quasimode, a temporary mode
based on a physical action. We already have an example of this for
dragging in Ubuntu: holding down the Alt key currently lets you move
windows by dragging anywhere, even on areas where dragging would
normally do something else.

The panel could copy this behavior: Alt+dragging could move the panel,
while normal dragging does nothing. That way people would be much less
likely to move the panel by mistake.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas