Hover highlight effect inconsistency with GNOME applets.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 19:31:37 GMT 2008

2008/12/11 Otto Kekäläinen <otto at sange.fi>

> to, 2008-12-11 kello 15:22 +0100, Tomasz Dominikowski kirjoitti:
> >
> > Any thoughts, suggestions, explanations?
>
> I haven't noticed this before, but you are right: the highlight
> behaviour is inconsistent. At the moment I'd suggest we try to highlight
> everything that is clickable in the panels.

I have noticed this, but I haven't given it a second thought. I think I may
have
found a commonality; the applets that has an immediate effect when clicked
lights up on hover, while those that display a menu, slider, etc, does not.
This is not true for all applets, however. The System Monitor applet, for
instance, does not work this way, though a single click will open the System
Monitor.

If it isn't designed that way, I think maybe it should; it makes sense to
"warn"
about clicks that has an immediate action. That way, the menuline, volum
control, power manager and FUSA should not light up, since they'll only
display
sliders or menus. Launchers, window switchers, show desktop, etc should.
Following this philosophy, I think the clock applet shouldn't light up,
since it
doesn't really perform any operations, only displays the calendar. The
system
monitor applet, however, should light up.

My two cents;

Jo-Erlend Schinstad