Intuitive "Popup" Scrollbars

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 17:50:28 BST 2008

Hi Thorsten!

You've probably noticed this already, but I find it hard to grab the
'bar' if my mouse is already in the trough. I have to move the mouse off
of the trough and then back on where the bar is. I know it's not
necessary to grab the bar, and also that one can drag after clicking an
arrow (cool!) but some users will expect that functionality anyway.

Right now I subconsciously move my pointer onto the bar after entering
the trough from the top. As a result, I click the Down arrow by
accident. The only way to avoid that is if I move my pointer slightly
upwards, which is distracting mouse acrobatics.

It may cause problems when the bar is bigger, but what if the arrows
were not allowed to move inside of the bar? For example, instead of
following the mouse pointer onto the scroll bar, the arrows would skip
to either end of it. Then again, that may be too much of a sacrifice
since the arrows are then no longer totally predictable. Does anyone
have other ideas?

The scroll arrows should have a timer for when they disappear. Some
users will move the mouse off of the trough by accident. Right now, the
arrows disappear and then reset at a different position. If the pointer
is moved straight back on, the arrows are centred around it instead of
one being directly below.

The timer could work like this:

-Pointer moves inside trough. The arrows follow so that he is poised to
click the top one.
-Pointer moves off of trough. Arrows are still visible...
-Within three seconds, pointer moves back onto trough. User can
immediately click to press the top arrow.

and this:

-Pointer moves inside trough. The arrows follow so that he is poised to
click the top one.
-Pointer moves off of trough. Arrows are still visible...
-Within three seconds, the pointer is put back to an entirely different
place on the trough (away from the arrows' current position). Arrows
follow pointer as usual.

Bye,
-Dylan