Desktop Team Development Meeting, 2007-09-27

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 27 14:05:38 BST 2007

The team at Canonical responsible for development of the desktop has a
weekly meeting in #ubuntu-meeting; since this team forms part of the
Desktop Team, it seems appropriate to send meeting minutes to this list.

Note that the meeting is public; if you wish to attend, please do (it's
at 1200UTC every Thursday) -- if you have items for the agenda, send
them to me in advance for consideration.

== Present ==

 * Scott James Remnant (Keybuk) - chair
 * Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)
 * Ian Jackson (iwj)
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)
 * Michael Vogt (mvo)
 * Mirco Müller (MacSlow)
 * Tollef Fog Heen (Mithrandir)

== Agenda ==

 * Disable apt+http URLs since PPAs (primary use case) are not signed?
 * buildds don't have debconf accept set for Sun's java licence, no
   response from infinity

== Disable apt+http URLs ==

apturl: the Spec (and the current implementation) have an
apt+http://foo.bar?package=baz syntax that allows adding new
repositories if the repository is signed with a key we have in the apt
keyring.

The use-case for this was PPA.  It turns out that PPAs are not signed
currently and that it is uncertain when they will and with what key.  I
would like to disable this feature in apturl therefore for gutsy and
come back to it when the situation with the PPAs is more clear. Any
objections?

Decision was to disable and revisit the implications at UDS.

ACTION: iwj to start conversation on ubuntu-devel about automatic
        software installation etc.

== buildds don't have debconf accept set ==

This was a case where an RT ticket had been filed, and assigned to a
member of the IS team who hadn't done it and was not responding to
pings.

In this situation, it's more than fine to escalate back to their team
leader.  If that doesn't get you anywhere, let your team leader (ie. me)
know and I'll ensure somebody looks at it.

ACTION: Riddell to talk to elmo

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant