connexion window (in administration menu) is not optimal

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri Oct 26 12:20:44 BST 2007

Op vrijdag 19-10-2007 om 14:29 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Daniel
Chapman:
> > "from user point of view it makes non sense :
> > - to have to enter a password to desactivate a sound
> > - to have 2 differents menu entries to tweak (furthermore : one is in
> >   preferences menu, the other one is in administration menu)
> > - to search in accessibilty tab the option to desactivate this specific
> >   sound

This sound is an accessibility feature (without it, blind people can't
know when to type their username/password).

> > Also, GDM themes should be configurable from System>Preferences,
> > Appearance"

> I agree with both of these points.
>
> I know the correct place to change the GDM theme, but if i don't concentrate
> hard enough, i always find myself going into the Appearance/Theme section. If this is
> happening, then you know that's the place it should be found in.

The problem is then when multiple users use the same PC: who is allowed
to change the login screen?  Considering that changing this might result
in security issues, I don't think it's strange to find it in the
"Administration" menu.

OTOH, maybe the "Appearance" panel could have a button to the login
screen settings that's only visible to people who are members of the
'admin' group.  (So it would still require root credentials.)

--
Jan Claeys