Default list of search engines in Deskbar

Vincent Untz vuntz at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 8 16:00:21 BST 2007

Le vendredi 05 octobre 2007, à 13:30 +0200, Loïc Minier a écrit :
>         Hi,
>
>  In <https://launchpad.net/bugs/131182>, Ian notes that the list of
>  search engines is rather arbitrary.  The list of search engines in
>  Deskbar actually comes from the Firefox bookmarks though.
>
>  I guess the ideal long term solution for Ubuntu would be to unify
>  default bookmarks, search engines etc. in a single package which would
>  be used for Firefox, Epiphany, etc.
>    As a short term solution, perhaps we can agree on which search
>  engines to include by default, list them on some wiki page and patch
>  Firefox to honor this list so that newer installation get these search
>  engines in Deskbar?
>
>  There's also the question of the default search engine to use when
>  simply hitting enter in Deskbar: this should probably be the default
>  Firefox search engine instead of the first search engine.
>
>  The current list can be found with the attached script:
>     Wikipedia topic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search>
>     Ubuntu Package Search
>         <http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl>
>     Creative Commons <http://search.creativecommons.org/>
>     Google <http://www.google.com/search>
>     Yahoo <http://search.yahoo.com/search>
>     Answers.com <http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery>
>     eBay <http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll>
>     Amazon.com <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/>
>
>  Any suggestion for additions/removals?  Should Google be the preferred
>  default?

IMHO, this list (and the default) should be localizable: Google might be
the preferred search engine in some places and Yahoo! might be somewhere
else. Amazon might not exist in some languages and some countries have
similar webshops which are more used. Etc.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.