Bring back the "System Tools" menu?

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:45:08 GMT 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 8:54 AM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Le jeudi 27 septembre 2007 à 23:14 -0300, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini a
> écrit :
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > "System Tools" is a standard category of the XDG spec that is not used
> > in a default Ubuntu desktop. Applications that usually go in that
> > category have been moved to other places, such as "Accessories" or
> > "Administration", or simply hidden by default.
> >
> > Looking at Gutsy, I think the Accessories menu is too crowded with
> > applications that don't belong there (Bluetooth Analyzer, Disk Usage
> > Analyzer, Terminal). Another problem with Ubuntu ignoring the XDG spec
> > is that third party applications might install an entry in that
> > category, so the user will end up with the extra category anyway.
> >
> > I'd like to suggest that Ubuntu reconsiders this change and reverts back
> > to upstream behaviour.
>
> hi,
>
> That's something which has been discussed already and there is no easy
> way to make the menus easier to browse. Using the System Tools is one
> option, what people subscribed to the list thing about this change?

Bluetooth analyzer can be hidden, as I believe it merely allows users
to look at the bluetooth messages floating around. With that gone, the
next big target is the Tracker search thing. I think we should replace
the Search for Files at the bottom of the places menu with the Tracker
Tool (yes, I realize this would create an Ubuntu specific patch. We
can push it upstream or at least start a discussion about it upstream.
Ideally we want a single search UI driving into either Beagle or
Tracker, depending on the distro/user). I also vote we hide "Manage
Print Jobs" or move it to the Administration menu.

Corey