tab consistency feature

Erik Jan Philippo erik at philippo.tweakdsl.nl
Tue Mar 20 21:40:07 GMT 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm really interested in tabconsistency feature. It's very annoying that
all the tab based application behave different. But I don't think the
current proposal is the right way. I think we should make an standard
for the tab behavior. We should collaborate with several open source
projects. I suggest mozilla, gnome, kde and novells betterdesktop.
The standard should be well tested with usability tests (that's why i
think betterdesktop.org is usefull). If the standard is defined we
should ask as much as possible open source (if they use tabs) projects
to implement it. Off course we provide them with the results of the
usability research to convince them. If kde, gnome and mozilla agree
with it, probable a lot of small programs will also use it. I hope this
will lead to a very consistent tab behavior in every open source
applications.
Before I'm going to spend my time with it, I like know what the you
think of it? I will only do this if it's supported by ubuntu. Otherwise
we are doing things double. Collaborations are better :) When they
support it, it's time to contact the projects and ask if they are open
for such a standard.

Greetings,

Erik