Using xdg-user-dirs for the gutsy desktop

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko at redinnovation.com
Mon Jun 18 15:08:03 BST 2007

Erik Andrén wrote:
> 2007/6/18, Luis de Bethencourt <bethencourt at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Very nice, I think this will improve a lot Ubuntu's user-friendliness
>> for new users.
>>
>> I suggest taking "Download" out of the list to have the magic 7. As
>> most people download stuff to the Desktop, and then move it to it's
>> proper place (depending on what hey have just downloaded).
>

> Isn't a desktop, cluttered with old download garbage something we want to
> avoid?

I agree. I suggest to preverse DOWNLOAD variable at least. If you wish
to download to desktop, you can always reconfigure xdg-useres-dir file.
Old downloads really clutter up desktop (as they do for $HOME too). If
you have all downloads separately in one folder, it's easier to clean up
(delete them).

--
Mikko Ohtamaa
Associate, Red Innovation Ltd.