User Interface of the X Configuration Tool

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Mon Jun 4 11:43:43 BST 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> the new and shiny GTK frontend to displayconfig (the x configuration
> part of the KDE admin suite named guidance) has got some usability
> issues. I would like to start a discussion about this to get your input
> and comments.

So here's what the competition does:
<http://think-well.org/articles/2006/12/28/managing-multiple-displays>

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DisplayConfigGTK

According to this specification, there will be one UI
(gnome-display-properties) for people who have one display, another UI
(display-config-gtk) for people who have two displays, and yet another
UI (hacking the X config files yourself) for people who have three or
more displays. I think this is unfortunate and unnecessary.

Having discussed this with you on IRC, I understand that the current
situation is:
*   we can't auto-detect the existence of displays, because of
     limitations in X;
*   we can't put a separate settings dialog on each display (like Mac OS
     X does), because we can't rely on the config on any given display
     being non-broken.

These make the interface more complex than it could be, but I still
think we could have a single interface for any number of displays.

At the top center of the window could be an option menu listing the
available displays (defaulting to the primary display), followed by a
separator, then items for managing multiple displays. The rest of the
window would show settings for the current display. For example:

              |(x)             Displays             (-)|
              |         ______________________         |
              |        |__LCD (Primary)_____:^|        |
              |________________________________________|
              |     (display-specific settings here)   |
              :                                        :

The menu when opened:
              |(x)            Displays              (-)|
              |         ______________________         |
              |        |/:LCD:(Primary):::::::|        |
              |________|  Canon LV-7575       |________|
              |        |  Unknown             |        |
              |        |----------------------|        |
              |        |  Graphics Card...    |        |
              |        |  Arrange Displays... |        |

"Graphics Card..." and "Arrange Displays..." would both open separate
dialogs, and would not be actual choices.

I agree with Corey and Mikko that the arrangement UI should use
draggable thumbnails of each display. For accessibility, each thumbnail
could be focusable and movable using the arrow keys.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/