User Interface of the X Configuration Tool

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 4 09:24:57 BST 2007

Am Sonntag, den 03.06.2007, 19:44 +0300 schrieb Mikko Ohtamaa:

> > You would need a lot of space for the drop target areas around the main
> > monitor. Furthermore drag and drop is very hard to discover for the
> > user. So we would have to add normals controls too. Since we need the
> > normal controls anyway we should use them as a starting point.
>
> > You would need a lot of space for the drop target areas around the main
> > monitor. Furthermore drag and drop is very hard to discover for the
> > user.
>
> Not really if you have clever design
>
> - Drag and drop is the most natural user interface for moving objects
> (except for those vim/emacs users ;)

Perhaps most naturally but not the most common one, since only a view
applications implemented it. Furthermore it requires good mouse skills.
Which points to the next week point: accessibility.

> - Change the cursor on monitor image hover

To which symbol?

> - Add text "Drag your monitors so that it corresponds your desktop setup"

Generally I think that if you need to explain your interface inside of
the interface you have very likely done something wrong.

> - Drag and drop area can be made pop-up to utilize all available screen estate

I cannot make an image of this. Additionally I don't see a connection
between position changes (drag and drop) and duplicating (cloning) in
the real world.

It would be nice if you could create some paper draws or even a short
storyboard of your idea.

Cheers,

Sebastian