Too many printing apps

Nanley Chery nanleychery at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:06:26 GMT 2007

As of now, we have three printing applications: one for Managing Print
Jobs, another for setting the Default Printer, and another for managing
Printing settings. Respectively, these entries exist under Accessories,
Preferences, and Administration; this is excessive.
        I think we should just have one or two apps. We already have the
 ability to set the default printer in the Printing app, so the Default printer
app is not needed. And maybe we could embed some
print-job-management-functionality in the Printing app. If that isn't possible,
then we should move the app to administration to reallocate some cruft.
These three apps add an unnecessary amount of complexity to the OS (a tad
reminiscent of some KDE distros I've used).
        The only hurdle is that the Printing app is a tool requiring root
privileges and the others don't. It may be (by design) that the other
two apps were provided for non-admin users to manage their printing
preferences and jobs. If this is the case, would it be possible to have
the Printing app globally accessible, requiring a password only when
some options are chosen? or even multiple printing profiles?