Switching off tabs in Pidgin by default

Jonas Jørgensen jj at qio.dk
Mon Dec 3 19:45:48 GMT 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 8:36 PM, Ted Gould <ted at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 19:10 +0000, wray.justin.ubuntu at gmail.com wrote:
> >      I think instead the issue should be taken with the upstream dev-team.
> > Making a change to have the name of the sender flash, instead of the active
> > tab.  This seems like a more logical request.  And will allow us to keep our
> > taskbars from being flooded with windows.
>
> So you're thinking:
>
> When the chat window is minimized the last user to send a message should
> have their name appear in the window title.

That wouldn't be sufficient: If two new users write a message just
after each other, only the last received would be seen. If Pidgin is
to use tabbed windows by default, the only acceptable solution I can
think of is for the window title to list all the users it contains, or
at least all those with unread messages -- but I can't see how that
could work once we consider people who use very long display names.
And also, this would be significantly more complicated to implement
than simply switching the default value of an existing preference.