Team packages maintained in bzr, one branch for the team or one for each debian directory?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 24 15:46:14 BST 2007

Le mardi 31 juillet 2007 à 08:47 +0200, Martin Pitt a écrit :

> Personally I still use the old non-tag approach which works very well:
> Development happens while keeping the changelog release target as
> "UNRELEASED", and an upload consists of changing that to "gutsy" and
> committing that change with -m 'release as 1.2.3-4ubuntu5 to gutsy'.
> Then it is easy to determine the revision number from bzr log.

I think we will do that as well, that's the easier way

> Oh, and just for counting: one branch per package makes much more
> sense, especially if we ever get to maintaining the full source in
> revision control.
>
> Maybe you guys should start with one or two packages, see how it goes,
> improve the tools, and then make the call (1) whether to keep bzr
> branches at all (depending on whether it eases your work) and (2) how
> to improve the process.

Right. I've been busy with desktop work since I wrote the mail but I
switched back to this bzr idea today and added some packages so we can
start playing with it and see how it goes.

I've started writing some documentation on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/GettingStarted , comments are
welcome ;)

One of the issue we will have is the requirement to use the name of a
product register on launchpad, that will create issues for packages like
gnome-control-center, gnome-vfs2, gtk+2.0 for example. The issue is
known by the launchpad guys though and there is a specification
registred on
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/launchpad-bazaar/+spec/package-branches

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher