Nautilus should use a background by default

David Prieto frandavid100 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 14:18:10 BST 2006

> I think that using a patterned background could potentially reduce the
> readability of text, whether you have poor eyesight or not. It might be
> a good idea to ask about this on ubuntu-accessibility list before
> applying any changes.

I'm no expert on this, but I never noticed having a hard time reading
nautilus windows since I set the background. Probably it's
ubuntu-accessibility that should give us an answer.

> What are the pros and cons of using a background? Is there a good
> usability reason or is this just eye candy? Will there be much impact on
> performance, e.g. when moving a nautilus window rapidly? What if people
> really hate the default background we choose and don't know how to
> change it?

I'm not sure if there would really be any pros, I for once do it for the
eye candy. The naked folder is ugly IMO, a background is a way to
somehow dress it.

I've never noticed a performance drop when moving windows after setting
a background. And setting a subtle background should keep most people
from going polar about it.