Feedback from What New Users Want BoF at ubucon

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Wed Sep 13 20:02:31 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 20:21 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le mardi 05 septembre 2006 à 00:43 -0700, Corey Burger a écrit :
>
> > I hate to do this, but I tagging this post again, because I did not
> > get a response for either Sebastian Bacher or Daniel. Not set on the
> > notification, but I would like to see the help icon restored.
>
> We discussed that on IRC, I don't like the option very much to have the
> yelp icon as launcher on the panel because that's not something users
> run daily and they should not have it on the screen all the time then.
>
> Some other options mentioned:
> - having another menu label next to Applications, Places, System. My
> opinion is that it would be too many too menus, especially for people
> who change their configuration to use one panel

And it is functionally equivalent to the launcher but taking more space,
requires reading, and is very hard to remove. A launcher with a sensible
icon is way better than this one

> - having a first startup guide. It has been decided some time ago that
> the first startup guide is not something Ubuntu wants to use
> - using some sort of update-notifier notification going away when the
> user has read it. That would be near of the launcher option since the
> launcher is easy to remove from the panel
> - using a notification bubble pointing on the system menu and explaining
> that the help is available from it

All of which will be totally or mostly ignored by most new users -
exactly the group of people that need it the most.

> None of them got a consensus on IRC. What would you people prefer for
> that?

launcher with the current "System Documentation" (or similar) icon for
me.

--
Tristan

Any similarity between the opinions expressed here and the opinions of
my employer are purely coincidental.