Suggestions for fixing a hosed system?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Oct 2 20:08:49 BST 2006

Hi,

probably because of some file system problem, I have hosed my Dapper
desktop.  Now I would like to get good suggestions of what to
install/reinstall in order to fix this.

Perhaps the most glaring symptom would be that starting
gnome-keyboard-properties results in

(gnome-keyboard-properties:30092): capplet-common-WARNING **: NULL GConf value: /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/repeat: possibly incomplete setup

(gnome-keyboard-properties:30092): capplet-common-WARNING **: NULL GConf value: /desktop/gnome/interface/cursor_blink: possibly incomplete setup

(gnome-keyboard-properties:30092): capplet-common-WARNING **: NULL GConf value: /desktop/gnome/typing_break/enabled: possibly incomplete setup

and a crash.  I have reinstalled some packages I suspected, but
seemingly have not yet hit the right one yet.

There are also some other apparently missing settings and an
occasional crashing applet because of that.

I would like to avoid reinstalling the whole system, so does anybody
have good candidate packages to reinstall, or other measures to take?

Thanks,