Logout icon

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Thu May 18 11:31:17 BST 2006

Hello all,

I hate to be yet another person writing to the list to comment on icons,
but I am going to in order to make one quick comment.

I like that Ubuntu has left the ambiguous door icon in favour of the
universal power icon on a switch. Unfortunately, I think that the
picture of a switch is unnecessarily complicated. The strength of the
new icon is the power symbol, not the switch on which it currently
resides. If users do not know what the symbol means then they will not
be able to interpret the image as a power switch.

As such, I personally would like to see the idea retained, but the icon
replaced with the simple power symbol (as is in the logout dialogue).
Not only do I think this would be easier to interpret, it would seem to
go a lot better with all the nice, clean, tango-like icons we have been
blessed with lately!

Thanks for your excellent work, artwork people!

Aaron