GEdit interface suggestion

John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Tue May 9 17:35:38 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 18:32 +0200, Francesco L. wrote:
> I think the "Save" button on the toolbar should be greyed-out when the file is already saved,
> like in OpenOffice.

I think this is an awful idea. I REALLY hate this "feature" in OO.

> A greyed-out Save button is a better visual feedback about the state of the document than the
> asterisks on the tabs and on the title bar.

I use the save button not only to move data from RAM to disk. I mainly
use it end a line of thought, or when ever I do a mental context switch.
Hitting that save button meas "Yea, I'm sure. Next!"

Many times I just lean back to think for a moment, hitting the save
button from time to time, each time to end that thought, or doing
another iteration of it.

It is also true that when I cannot press the button, I do NOT think: "ah
it's already saved, good." I think. WTF the software is broken, I cant
use the save function, is the HD offline? Why is it impossible to save
at this time? Should I be nervous? Will my data get lost because of this
inability? I know the software is trying to say that the data is in
sync, but can I really trust it? I don't trust software enough to let it
make that kind of decisions for me!"

Sorry for the rant. But this "feature" has been bugging me for a while
now.

Regards,
John