inconsistent use of the words "suspend" and "sleep" on the desktop

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu May 4 00:01:23 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 17:59 -0500, Jonathon Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 15:33 -0600, Bonilla, Alejandro wrote:

> > > IMO, Suspend and Hibernate really are the correct terms. WIndows gets it wrong
> > > by saying Sleep and Hibernate.
> >
> > I think it's over talked about what people really need or the options we
> > have.
> >
> > Suspend is Suspend to RAM, Hibernate is to (Suspend, Sleep, Save) to
> > Disk.
> >
> > http://www.lifsoft.com/power/faq.htm
> >
> > --
> > Alejandro Bonilla
> >

> If I was a user, (which I am) the terms "sleep" and "hibernate" make
> much more sense than the term "suspend." Both "sleep" and "hibernate"
> are ways to suspend the system from actual processing, but "sleep" is
> light (memory), and "hibernate" is deep (disk).

Couldn't agree more. However, I couldn't really care less as long as the
logout dialogue and gnome-power-manager are consistent (which right now,
they are not). It would be great to get a definitive opinion about which
vocabulary to use (mdz?), and then get it sorted (announcing any
consequent string change to the translators).

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF