(Yet another) new logout dialog

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Mon Mar 27 11:13:01 BST 2006

Adam Petaccia wrote:
> I think there needs to be consistency with wording on what the key verb
> should be.  The Log out option doesn't even "log out" in the text, but
> the others have "Let your computer %s".  I'm in favor of _not_ repeating
> the option in the descriptive text, so perhaps hibernate could read
> "Turn the computer off, and restore applications when its next turned
> on" or something along those lines.

I agree. The option itself tells something, it needs no repetition.
Maybe we could make the helpful text consist of two parts. The first one
is a very short definition of what the option does, and, if needed, a
second part gives some explanation about it's consequences. Mabye
seperate them with a newline.

Something like this (in the wording, I'm not really consistent in "your
session will end" or "open applications will be restored):

Log out:
	Close your session so that other users can log in.
Switch user:
	Log in with another user.
	Your session will continue when the other user logs out.
	* (unfortunately this is not true by definition; see
	https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/36832 )
Lock screen:
	Protect your running programs.
	Your password is required to continue this session,
	but other users can log in with their account.
Sleep:
	Save power.
	You can return to this session by pressing any key.
	* (note I mention the fact that the session is not ended)
Hibernate:
	Turn off the computer.
	When started again, all open applications will be restored.
Restart:
	Restart the computer.
Shut down:
	Turn off the computer.