(Yet another) new logout dialog

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Mon Mar 27 10:40:19 BST 2006

Manu Cornet wrote:
> And how do you like this "status label" idea ?

It's great. Thanks to Øivind Hoel for bringing up this idea, and kudos
to you for implementing it!

Sven Jaborek wrote:
> Where
> can i deactivate sleep/suspend and does this remove the buttons from the
> logout dialog? I ask because both of my machines never wake up when i
> use sleep or suspend.

I have the same problem, but didn't yet file a bug on it. I'll do it in
a minute,

Tristan Wibberley wrote:
>  Alain Perry wrote:
>> Why not always display something ?
>> ie: "Run your mouse over a button to get some help on its action." or
>> something better worded.
>
> Yeah, and since it is dynamic, and not a label, it should have a border.
> That would help for when there is a large difference in the amount of
> wording between options.

I agree, it would be nice if the dynamic texts somehow stands out.

Brad Johnson wrote:
> If you wish to have only one help text area, then the layout of the
> entire panel should be changed IMHO. Possibly like this example offered
> by Øivind Hoel.

I have a few problems with that:
1) if we are to keep the current big icons with the text underneath, we
want to order them horizontally. Otherwize all text and icon parts are
alternating, which provides no good overview. If we order the options
vertically, the text-parts should indeed be right of the icons, as in
the ascii-mockup of of Øivind Hoel.
2) Because we need more width than height for the text are, and we want
it to be a bit subtle, the right-side isn't really appropriate. It would
take half the dialog.

I think if we make the text somehow stand out (by a border), it would
just look great. (The border-line between the two icon rows could be
shorter, to make it a softer seperation).

Thanks, great work! :-)

Eric