New theme: Battery/Trash

Armand CORBEAUX acorbeaux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 16:24:40 GMT 2006

>> One other thing I just noticed is the network applet for wireless
>> networks. The signal strenght indicator is a little unintuitive. First
>> of all its horizonatal, which by itself wouldnt be too bad (but not
>> great) but it marks signal strength in one of four positions instead
>> of including the previous positions. That is to say like this:

>> - - - + -  (for strength of 3)

>> instead of

>> + + + -

>> which, IMHO would be much more intuitive.

More intuitive? And the same for battery state too?

To be honest what is called common user "fucks up" signal streght. He wishs
only to be connected, not to know how strengh is the signal. And that's the
same for all satellite systems.

Do people all the time look at the quality of signal for the parabolas? No.
When do we take a look on signal strengh on cellphones? When the discussion
cuts.

That's the same for wireless connection, a user doesn't need to know what's
the signal quality, he wishes just to know if he's connected to the network
or not. The indicator through tooltip allows to know enough about wireless
connection.

To know that you use a wired or wireless network is largely enough for a
classic use.
To know the signal strengh is just a gadget, because 95% of the time you
can't increase the signal strengh (or perhaps if you break some walls or
smash people from their places...but that's an another problem).

When only one icon will be displayed to notify user that he is connected to
wired or wireless network we could say that we have an improvement in term
of effectiveness.