G-p-m hding while on AC

Sandis Neilands sandisn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 16:56:28 GMT 2006

Hello Øivind!

On 3/9/06, Øivind Hoel <oivind.hoel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/9/06, Sandis Neilands <sandisn at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I like it there. It saves me to use the menu when I want to log out
> > > using my mouse. I use the keyboard most of times though :-P.
> >
> > Hmmm, if our likes or dislikes are our only arguments for or against
> > things, then we can quickly get into trouble. For now, I haven't seen
> > any valid (technical, usability, etc) reason for that icon being in
> > that place.
>
> Indeed. However, the standard thing for all portable devices I've ever
> come across is to always display the battery status, no matter if it's
> fully loaded, charging, discharging or plain empty.
>
> As already mentioned, screen real-estate is a non-issue (atleast on a
> modern laptop with >= 1024x768 resolution, which as far as I know
> something you'll need to run gnome 2.14).
>
> The disappearance of the icon is confusing, and only people who *know*
> the fact that the icon is set to disappear when the battery is full
> and on AC will understand that this effectively means their laptop is
> ready to hit the highway.
>
> Other people will start wondering if something is wrong. Maybe their
> laptop is malfunctioning and needs a reboot?

Good points and I agree with you on this issue. However when I wrote
that paragraph I had a log out icon in the corner in mind.

> > > From what I've seen not many people answer on those querys, when they
> > > are made.
> >
> > No, wrong. Look at the recent "Firefox and the `you have chosen to
> > open ...' dialogue" thread in devel and desktop lists. However if
> > nobody answers, you can assume that nobody cares that much and do as
> > you will. But at least you would have been asked.
> >
> > >For the logout-button I think it's an sabdfl decision (corrent
> > > me if I'm wrong please) but it's often easiest to make a change and see
> > > how the community like it. They will complain if they don't ;-).
> >
> > Well, I'm part of the comunity and I hate it (the icon in the corner,
> > not Mark :)
>
> As far as the top right logout icon, I rather thought that change was
> a sensible one. It's far easier to log out via that than the menu. Of
> course, now that we have g-p-m, my main use of the logout icon can
> simply be replaced by "close laptop lid", but at the time of writing,
> not every laptop user out there is as lucky as me when it comes to
> suspend++ support.

Hey, but how about those ~80% users (made this up in my mind) with
desktop PCs'? It's nice that ubuntu cares about laptop owners, but for
desktop users this icon is useless.

> And since sabdfl is wikipedia's main benevolent dictator for life
> example, I think you all have to live with it there, at least for
> dapper, anyway.

No, i will remove it (of course if menu item won't be ripped off).
--
Sandis