G-p-m hding while on AC

Sandis Neilands sandisn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 02:14:47 GMT 2006

Hello!

On 3/8/06, Christian Bjälevik <nafallo at magicalforest.se> wrote:
> tor 2006-02-23 klockan 21:47 -0800 skrev Corey Burger:
> > 2. More savvy users might think that g-p-m is crashing open AC plugin
> More savvy users would probably have found the preferences dialog and
> found the option in the last tab that controls this? :-)

And how would they do that, if the icon isn't there?

> > 3. No other DE or OS does this. While this is not usually an argument,
> > I think the expectation of least surprise holds here and there is no
> > compelling argument to break consistency.
> I disagree. I think it's a lot better to have it this way and only use
> the precious panel-space when there is actually something to show. This
> could easily be compared to update-notifier and gnome-cups-icon.

<rant>
Oh, very interesting concept. So perhaps we should remove volume
control too? And how about trashcan? It shouldn't be visible if it's
empty too! If you are chasing space on panel, try removing that
useless logout icon, which is fairly well accesible from menu, doesn't
indicate any state (or anything at all) and takes the most valuable
space on panel (for right handed users) while being used twice a day
(or less).

I find this kind of decision making disturbing. Major change should be
discussed on -devel or -desktop BEFORE applied, not the other way
around. Another good example for behind-the-curtains decision is GDM
login screen and options menu.
</rant>

--
Sandis