panel icons

Andy Somerville andy.somerville at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 20:02:26 BST 2006

Moondogie,

     Not to reduce their importance in making Ubuntu usable, but I
think most of the issues you have listed are not related to design or
engineering issues, but rather license issues that are out of the
hands of the community; certainly at least in the case of codecs.
There is a work around for license restricted components: the
Automatix script will install these components for those of use who
can legally use it.

Java just recently made changes to allow redistribution; perhaps to
late to be included in Dapper.

As far as Mozilla is concerned, I don't know what you are referring to
as Mozilla Firefox is certainly a fully functional part of Dapper and
eariler releases for that matter.

While you may not have seen improvements on license restricted
functionality, it seems many other people have noticed and appreciated
the improvements in Dapper that seemingly have not been apparent to
you.

I think its also telling to note that Mepis has recently shifted to
being Ubuntu based.

     Andy