Shipping fspot instead of gthumb

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 18 18:30:01 BST 2006

On lun, 2006-07-17 at 09:51 +0200, Lionel Dricot wrote:

> But when you double-click on a picture somewhere, it must open Gthumb,
> not F-Spot. (like it must open Totem)

No, when you double click on a photo it should open eog which is a
viewer.

> For me, eog and gthumb are quite the same but I've seen that, for most
> users, brightness/contrast/croping/resizing is considered as an
> "everyday tool" and you use them the first time you are browsing your
> pictures. That's the only reason why I recommend gThumb instead of
> Eog.

As written in one of the previous mail on the list eog is a viewer where
gthumb is sort of a photos manager and f-spot is a photos manager, they
don't have the same usecase. The default viewer should be eog and I
think it makes sense to use f-spot by default for managing photos (by
example opening it to import photos when you plug your camera, to take
your example we start rhythmbox when an ipod is plugged already)

> I know that it makes no sens to have functions to modify a picture in
> a "picture viewer" but people are expecting this and need this. And we
> want to ship something that people like and find useful, not something
> that makes sense for our geeky minds ;-)

That looks like a feature request for eog and has not a lot to do with
f-spot

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher