Shipping fspot instead of gthumb

Dean Sas dean at deansas.org
Sun Jul 16 19:23:29 BST 2006

Lionel Dricot wrote:
> My thought : from a picture viewer, I expect :

I wouldn't say gthumb or f-spot is just a picture viewer. Eye of gnome
is a picture viewer, f-spot is more of a photo manager (though does
basic view and rotate too) and gthumb seems to sit on the line between
eog and f-spot.

> - open a picture by double-clicking on it and then browse others in
> the same folder with next/prev
> - zoom and slideshow
> - rotate the picture  and save it (which is not perfect in gthumb, I admit)

eye of gnome, the default image viewer, does these three very well I
think. If the photos are already in f-spot it does them very nicely too.

> - croping/resizing
> - brightness/contrast

eog doesn't do these but f-spot does after you double click on an image
in your photo "library".

> I also never fully
> understanded a lot of things so I cannot imagine how it would be for
> regular joe user who only put pictures from his camera to his desktop
> and want to display them.

If the user uses f-spot to import photos from the camera and wants to
display them it should just work fairly obviously. If they want to go
back later and view photos it should be easier to find photos thanks to
the timeline and tags.

> Gthumb is not the best but is still the less worst for me. F-spot is
> not, IMHO, in the gnome spirit. I don't want to "import" things.

f-spot is planned to get inotify support "one day" so that as long as
the user uses the same directories to import into (say ~/Photos) then
any new photos, however they get there, will be auto-imported to f-spot.
However I don't know if anyone is actively working on this.

I think that eog covers most basic use cases and for users wanting to
organise their photos in another way besides the file system and have
access to more functions such as red-eye removal and easy searching
f-spot is the application for them. Look how popular iPhoto is for apple
and for that matter picasa is for windows. f-spot is closer to both than
gthumb. Both offer tags and have the "photo library" concept too.

I'm not sure what advantages gthumb has over f-spot besides the mono thing.

dsas