The return of the clocks of death (this time in the new gnome logout dialogs)

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 30 11:43:22 GMT 2006

Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> These can be treated the same way as Windows does, with a "This
> program is not responding" alert <http://www.jvwinc.com/end-now.gif>,
> or the same way OS X does, with an "<appname> cancelled shutdown" alert.

Yes, but this is a feature of Windows that makes people cringe. It gives
people a feeling that the app or system is broken.

I would suggest a solution with a dialogue without a counter but where
you do have to click confirm to activate to avoid data loss. The data
protection can be catered for by calling the screen locking/screen saver
app with a time parameter that is shorter than the user's default. 60 or
90 seconds is probably fine.

It may be necessary to modify the screen locking program to accept a
parameter to override the default time, but if so, that would mean
modifying just one app instead of the hundreds that would need to save
data properly.

- Henrik