Themes and wallpapers

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 23 12:41:31 GMT 2006

Hello,

I'm preparing a collection of sample content files for dapper, such as
OpenOffice files, some Ogg clips, etc. These files will be placed on the
user's system in a discoverable place and will make it easier to get
started with the various applications. See spec:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ExampleContent

An obvious thing to include is PNG and SVG desktop backgrounds from
art.ubuntu.com, preferably with the related Gimp source files (for the
PNGs). I don't think these should be installed as wallpaper options by
default, but should be included as files in a directory in ~. There can
also be a ReadMe.html in the same location that explains how to add
backgrounds and where to get more.

My question really is about themes. Most of us download themes from
art.gnome.org or gnome-look.org to tweak our desktops. However, the
audience that I'm making this sample content collection for may not have
the inclination to do that. I wonder if we should include some
alternative themes in the form of tarballs in the user dir with
instructions on how to install or should they instead be pre-installed?

The metacity theme files are generally very small and the SVG icon files
are not too bad either. The question is: which ones are of high enough
quality and complete enough to be included? IMHO several of the default
Gnome themes should be retired (as they are boring or cheezy): Crux,
Grand Canyon, Ocean Dream, Traditional. But I guess that's another
debate ...

- Henrik