Logout dialog improvement suggestions

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 07:55:50 GMT 2006

On 1/18/06, Manu Cornet <Manu.Cornet at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > 1) It should appear less like a dialog and more like "i own your
> > > screen right now".
> >
> > Why? Is there any reason for this other than "Microsoft Windows does
> > it"? (I've never understood why Windows does it.)
>
> I agree, there's probably no reason (and by the way OS X doesn't lock
> the screen either).

Well, fading the rest of the screen out certainly does focus your
attention on the dialog. There's also the argument of familiarity: not
only for those using Windows, but those using previous versions of
GNOME/Ubuntu. I have to admit I was a bit dismayed to see this
behaviour go.

It may be worth tracking down exactly when this behaviour was added (I
think around GNOME 2.2 or 2.4?), and asking the parties responsible
why they did it: perhaps there was some other reason why this was
added initially..

Cheers,
--
William Lachance