annoying behaviour with removable media

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 13:06:23 GMT 2006

On 1/8/06, Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Samstag, den 07.01.2006, 17:45 +0100 schrieb Sebastien Estienne:
> > I understand the technical reasons behind this (device are mounted in
> > /media mount points) but i guess many users will be annoy by this.
>
> If you're going to report this issue upstream, from my experience,
> they're going to close this as NOTABUG. In past bugs they always
> insisted on consistency. If there's a 'Computer' button ready to be
> clicked, it wouldn't be very consistent to have UP make you go
> from /media/<whatever> to computer:// - but don't worry, this is just my
> opinion, maybe the guys in #nautilus or on nautilus-list@ see this
> differently. :-)

yes it's more an usability problem than a bug. That's why i posted in
the ubuntu-desktop ml in the first place, to know your  opinions on
the subject: if this behavious should be changed or not.

>From an end user point of view i think that we shouldn't end up in /media.

On a side note, being able to go outside $HOME has really few usage
from nautilus because it's read-only at best.

If could be usefull only if nautilus allow the user to gain root
access for some operations, like you can do sudo from the cli, for
example to edit a file in /etc/.

Until then i don't see any use real use case to go outside $HOME from nautilus

I just have a look at how mac os x handle this:
- when you try to copy/edit a file that doesn't  belongs to you, you
get a popup saying that you don't have access to this file, and
propose you to authencicate or cancel. (same thing if you try to
change the permissions on a file/folder)

- about the "going outside $HOME being a normal user", macosx seems to
use some kind of virtuals folders, all the Unix hierarchy is hidden
from the user, he can only see the usefull subset of the filesystem:
* his home
* a folder to install new application by drag and dropping the
application inside
* a library folder to drop plugins inside
* the /home folder to access the home of other users

> > there is another strange thing with the the navigation in nautilus:
> > do the following:
> > 1) places -> home folder
> > 7) you end up in "/" instead of "xkb"
>
> This seems to be a more valid point. You maybe should raise the issue in
> bugs.gnome.org, if it is not reported yet.
>
> Have a nice day,
>  Daniel

Sebastien Estienne