Ubuntu Documentation News - January 2006

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 2 15:06:48 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Taking inspiration from the Ubuntu Desktop News, the Documentation team
has also produced a newsletter in which we outline all the new hotness
in the Ubuntu Documentation World.

This is the first newsletter from the DocTeam, and we will produce new
ones every now and again. All newsletters will be available online at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/News

In this issue:

                Ubuntu 5.10 Update
                Documents for Ubuntu 6.04
                Kubuntu Documentation
                Wiki Documentation
                How to Contribute
                Useful Links

== Ubuntu 5.10 Update ==

We've recently prepared an update for the ubuntu-docs package in Breezy.
This features:

* An improved default start page for Firefox and Epiphany browsers
* Updated translations of the Gnome documentation

The update should hit your Breezy desktop soon!

== Documents for Ubuntu 6.04 ==

We're releasing two main documents in Ubuntu 6.04:

* the Desktop Starter Guide (preview is at
http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/) and
* the Server Starter Guide (preview is at
http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/).

They are both in early stages of development. Testing, feedback,
questions and above all '''contributions''' are always welcome to the
ubuntu-doc mailing list.

=== Dapper Flight 2 Release Notes ===

Matt Galvin has recently produced a great guide to what's new in Dapper.
For more information, see the page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperFlight2.

== Kubuntu Documentation ==

Kubuntu 6.04 will have three documents in the works:

* the Desktop Guide;
* the Quick Guide; and
* the Release Notes.

Work is currently being done by Jonathan Jesse and Jerome Gotangco but
we invite Kubuntu users to dive in and join the team!  With the help of
JonathanRiddell, we will be able to include documents that are tagged as
WIP (Work in Progress) in the coming milestone releases of Kubuntu.

== Wiki Documentation ==

=== New Hotness ===

The documentation on the wiki is beginning to take shape. As always, the
starting page for wiki documentation is
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation, which contains a (nearly
complete) index of documents. Here are some highlights:

* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultimediaApplications - a guided tour through
many of the cool music & video applications in Ubuntu.
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicCommands - confused by the command line?
Lessen your confusion here.
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ApacheMySQLPHP - need a webserver? This page
will get you started!
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MailServer - a series of guides to set up a
mail server.
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StrongPasswords - a guide to creating secure
passwords in Ubuntu.

=== Wiki License ===

The licence policy for the Ubuntu wiki has been under discussion
recently. The licence for the wiki has been unclear until now, and the
need was felt to establish a proper formal licence to clarify for users
and authors alike the terms on which material can be copied.  The final
decision was that the wiki material will be in the Public Domain, i.e.
totally free to be used, modified and copied. The details of the policy
change, the reasons, and the means by which it will be implemented can
be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WikiLicensing.

=== Cleanup of old pages ===

Corey Burger recently had a rush of blood and has done a massive cleanup
operation on old and outdated wiki pages. Many useless pages have been
deleted and many outdated developer specifications have been moved.

=== Work to be Done ===

Much work still remains to be done: lots of the documentation on the
wiki is disorganised and needs a lot of love.  We need help, so please
join the Documentation Team mailing list, and visit the wiki team pages
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WikiTeam and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WikiToDo
for some inspiration! Some pages which need expansion are:

* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wine - learn how to run your Windows programs
easier
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Games - having fun with Ubuntu has never been
easier
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiseatX - the new X.org 7.0/6.9 now
contains multiseat
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScanningHowTo - your scanners and Ubuntu, a
short guide

== How to Contribute ==

The Documentation Team still has a lot of work to do, and needs your
help!  Documentation is a great way to contribute to the Ubuntu
community, even if you don't know how to write programs or build
packages!  As always, you can find daily builds of the documentation
(and details of how to contribute) on http://doc.ubuntu.com.  Another
great starting place to learn quickly how to get involved is our wiki
pages, especially https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocteamGettingStarted. You can
also contact us on irc (#ubuntu-doc) or the mailing list
(http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc).

You can also contribute to the Kubuntu documentation by checking the
same website and the same mailing list.

== Useful Links ==

* http://help.ubuntu.com - All the stable documentation released with
Ubuntu systems