Font ugliness in firefox ?

Andy Somerville andy.somerville at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 04:55:19 BST 2006

Anyone notice font ugliness in firefox after the latest updates?  A
good example of the effects can be seen on slashdot. Its really quite
severe. I think it is from fontconfig.  The changelogs show:

fontconfig (2.3.2-1.1ubuntu10) dapper; urgency=low

  * Correctly fix the (eg) firefox vs. (eg) evince font metrics
    problem:
    - New FC_ANY_METRICS property, boolean.
    - Revert change from 2.3.2-1.1ubuntu9 and instead:
    - Change URW Nimbus font aliases in fonts.conf.in into equivalent
      <match> directives so that we can add an additional test which
      disables them when the anymetrics property is true.

 -- Ian Jackson <iwj at ubuntu.com>  Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:51:29 +0100

fontconfig (2.3.2-1.1ubuntu9) dapper; urgency=low

  * Until firefox and thunderbird can be tought to use it's own
    idea of font replacements:
  * Disable the usage of metric and shape compatible fonts for the
    3 Adobe families. evince cannot display documents correctly
    with these replacements not beeing available, but web browsers not
    using these fonts look definitely nicer.

 -- Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com>  Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:12:54 +0000

I dont understand the change comments completely, but if its not
urgent, it would be a good Idea to go back to what it was before.

      Andy