Font ugliness in firefox ?
andy.somerville at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 04:55:19 BST 2006
Anyone notice font ugliness in firefox after the latest updates? A
good example of the effects can be seen on slashdot. Its really quite
severe. I think it is from fontconfig. The changelogs show:
fontconfig (2.3.2-1.1ubuntu10) dapper; urgency=low
* Correctly fix the (eg) firefox vs. (eg) evince font metrics
- New FC_ANY_METRICS property, boolean.
- Revert change from 2.3.2-1.1ubuntu9 and instead:
- Change URW Nimbus font aliases in fonts.conf.in into equivalent
<match> directives so that we can add an additional test which
disables them when the anymetrics property is true.
-- Ian Jackson <iwj at ubuntu.com> Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:51:29 +0100
fontconfig (2.3.2-1.1ubuntu9) dapper; urgency=low
* Until firefox and thunderbird can be tought to use it's own
idea of font replacements:
* Disable the usage of metric and shape compatible fonts for the
3 Adobe families. evince cannot display documents correctly
with these replacements not beeing available, but web browsers not
using these fonts look definitely nicer.
-- Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:12:54 +0000
I dont understand the change comments completely, but if its not
urgent, it would be a good Idea to go back to what it was before.
More information about the ubuntu-desktop