Logout dialog : strings

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Mon Apr 17 10:06:09 BST 2006

You explicitly ask me to reply to your point, so I will, but then I have
done my say. Let's see what other people think.

Tristan Wibberley wrote:
> How about "Close your session and return to the login screen." I think
> that's accurate and doesn't imply anything it shouldn't, nor does it
> sound odd.
I'm fine with such a description, but I still think there is nothing
wrong with "Close your session so that other users can log in"

>> Nice, I think the password-protection can be left unmentioned, people
>> will find out, really.
>
> You're right about password protection, but then the lock screen doesn't
> need to say that either - because Switch User just does a Lock Screen
> and then presents the login screen.
Strictly speaking you are right, but we want to give relevant info in as
little reading as possible. If I lock my screen, I want to *lock* my
screen. If I switch user, the screen-locking is a side-effect. You won't
switch-user in a public library or university, and in any other
situation the other user can just turn off the system anyway. Session
killed. It's always unsafe.

>> Switch : Let another user log in while your session remains open.
> You didn't mention anything about the other thing I said: "I think it
> would be good to emphasise the difference from 'log out' by
> more directly referring to the words used in 'log out'"

I don't think it really matters. They both refer to the text in
"log-out", only with another opposite. Your propose "without closing
session" instead of "session remains open". People are very familiar
with the open/closed contrast.

> With the new suggestion for "Log Out" I gave above that would be:
> "Return to the login screen without closing your session.".
Ha! That's not returning! That going to a new one! ;-) (although
implementation-wise it's the same)

> With Manu's
> original phrase, that would be "... without closing your session."
> rather than "... while your session remains open." If you prefer the
> original overall, I don't think it should use "while" since other user's
> should be able to log in even after your session gets closed - many
> people over 30 from the north of England would say "do something while
> five" to say "do something and stop doing it at five o'clock" (I know at
> least one person from Wigan and one from Sheffield that use it like
> that). It would be a bit bizarre to tell them that other users can only
> log in until you close your session and to imply that they won't be able
> to log in after that - unless you define a new en_GB_north locale (that
> should probably be done anyway, actually, they still use thee, thou,
> thy, thine, etc... in some parts :)
LOL, nice slang, but I think those people will understand this wording,
that is just proper English, or their completely incompatible with the
English-speaking society and they'll have bigger problems than this dialog.
Once again, "while your session remains open" vs. "without closing your
session", I don't think it really matters. Pick one.