Love tasks for desktop lovers

Alain Perry alain.perry at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:31:08 GMT 2005

> >  * I think you should also use the environment variable in
> >    shortcuts_append_documents()
>
> Of course, silly me. Done.

Actually, I wasn't that silly. Working further on this, I ended up
realising that the environment variable is called
"GTK_DEFAULT_FILECHOOSER_DIR", not "GTK_DOCUMENTS_DIR" or anything
close to it.
This environment variable is only here to allow the user to specify a
default directory, not to change his documents folder. Or at least,
that's my understanding of it.
So, unless some voices raise here (or on #ubuntu-desktop when I'm
there), I revert the changes I made to that part of the patch.

> * The Desktop entry in the left pane is localized, but it is not
> localized in the pathbar at the top. Though they have the same icon,
> we lack consistency here.
>
> * The "home" entry uses the user name in the filechooser, but uses
> "Personal folder" in the gnome-panel menu, so the same remark is also
> true here. However, I'm wondering if it is a good idea to use
> "Personal folder" in the pathbar, since it is quite long. Sebastien,
> Vincent, any thoughts on this ?

Ok, I now have a patch callled 000_pathbar_localization.patch for this.

> * The Documents entry should definitely have it's own icon too (in the
> shortcuts pane as well as in the pathbar) and be named "Documents" in
> the pathbar for consistency as well. However, for the first of those
> two problems, I'd need an artist, because believe me, you don't want
> me to draw an icon.

Still need something like this. I'll modify the patch for the
gnome-panel too if someone draws one that pleases the desktop-team.

> So the big question is: should I use my time trying to solve all these
> issues, or do we not care ?

I guess it's already too late for this :-)

--
Alain Perry