Questions related to the new logout dialog

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 17 14:11:38 GMT 2005

hi,
Am Samstag, den 17.12.2005, 14:36 +0100 schrieb Sebastien Bacher:
> > And what about the xscreensaver lock dialog, it has a switch user
> > function: shouldn't this dialog have the same look and feel as the new
> > logout dialog?
>
> They don't do the same things, I'm not sure they should be the same. The
> switch user has a list of users so you can pick one. How would you
> change it?
note that the xscreensaver dialog until breezy was always the original
xscreensaver dialog with different themeing on top, it cant do more than
look like a gnome tool, since its not possible to make it use gtk or
gnome libs without big security issues, themeing there *must* happen at
compile time with hardcoded xpm pics indexed to 90 colors to work at
all.

we will switch to gnome-screensaver with dapper to overcome this
inconsistency, gnome-screensaver supports the fast user switch applet
that shows you a list of users to switch to.

i'm not sure if having a logout/shutdown/hibernate option is really what
i would want if i lock my desktop for a coffee break in the office, have
unsaved documents on the desktop and every colleague who would be
passing by could shut down my system. as long as not all apps autosave
open documents on shutdown/logout, we shouldnt introduce such a feature
there at all imho.

ciao
	oli